Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Blue Ribbon Project

I just had the most strange and amazing experience. I was sitting at my desk, writing my blog. I always meditate and do a lot of thinking before I write. I want it to be meaningful and helpful for those of you who read it. But this morning I was struggling with what to write. Nothing seemed to come out right. My thoughts would scatter and go in a completely different directions like dandelion fluff in the wind. It just wasn't coming together.

I had written quite a bit on the creative energy of thought. But it felt dry and forced; I erased the whole thing and started over. I decided to write about an amazing person in my life and how she wasn't a likely person that would end up being such a blessing for me. What a lesson that is. Aha I thought, I am finally on my way to a successful post!

My computer screen started to blink erratically and then it went blank. Yikes!!! My first thought was that some sort of worm had invaded! But in the same mysterious way that the screen went blank it jumped back to life again, as if it were awaiting my writing. I took it as a sign however, that this was not the right time to be writing, and went about some other tasks. Because I have learned to "let it go" thru a series of hard lessons I was able to joyfully go about my list of other things to do today; in the back of my mind I flirted with topics that my readers might find interesting and helpful.

When I came back to my desk I checked my e~mails. When one brought me to tears I knew it was what I needed to write about. And of all things, it was one of those "forwards" that circulate round and round. Often times I don't even bother to open them.

This one was a story I had heard before but it had pictures that made it come more alive. An abbreviated version of the story goes something like this:

A teacher in New York decided to honor her seniors by telling them the difference each of them had made. Each was called up to the front of the classroom and given a blue ribbon which read Who I am Makes a Difference.
The class decided to do a project to see what kind of impact recognition would have on the community. Each student was given three more of the blue ribbons with the instruction to go out and spread the "Acknowledge Ceremony."
One boy gave a blue ribbon to the Junior Executive who had helped him with career planning. He asked the executive to pass along the other two ribbons, finding someone to honor. The Junior Executive went to his boss who had a reputation for being kind of a grouchy fellow. He told his boss that he admired him for being a creative genius. The boss seemed a little surprised as he accepted the ribbon which the Junior Executive pinned above his heart. And the boss was instructed to take the remaining ribbon and pass it on, honoring somebody else. He explained that "The teenager who gave me these is doing a school project and we want to keep the ribbon ceremony going and see how it affects people."

The boss drove home and sat down with his 14 year old son. He explained what had happened. "He gave me the extra ribbon and asked me to find somebody else to honor. As I was driving home tonight I started thinking about who I would honor with this ribbon. I thought about you and I want to honor you. My days are hectic and when I come home I don't pay a lot of attention to you. I yell at you for not getting good enough grades and for your messy room. Somehow, tonight, I just wanted to sit here and well, just let you know that you do make a difference to me. Besides your mother you are the most important person in my life. You are a great kid and I love you."

The boy looked up at his father and said through his tears, "Dad, earlier tonight I sat in my room and wrote a letter to you and Mom explaining why I took my life and I asked you to forgive me. I was going to commit suicide tonight after you were asleep. I just didn't think that you cared at all. The letter is upstairs. I don't think that I'll need it after all."

The boss went back to work a changed man. He was no longer a grouch but made sure to let all of his employees know that they make a difference. The Junior Executive helped many other young people with career planning, one being the boss's son and never forgets to let them know that they make a difference in his life. In addition the young man and his classmates leaned a valuable lesson: Who you are does make a difference.


And so my dear readers I pass along to you what CJ passed along to me via the story of the kids in New York. Her e mail meant so much to me and I hope that the same energy and love is passed along to you as you read this blog.

Please know that I think you are important or you would never have received this "message" in the first place.
Who you are does make a difference. I 'm passing the blue ribbon on to you.

Let's continue with our own ceremony and see what a difference we can each make in acknowledging others in our life.

Until next time,
Love and blessings to you and those you love,
Dr. DyAnn

No comments: